Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Goodbye beloved preaching companion

When I got baptised in 1990, I was given my first bible, it was a black leather New International Version (NIV) 1983 edition. For the past 25 years it has been in my hands when I have preached with anointing & vigour and also when I've haven't! 

Sadly, the spine of this bible is coming apart and some of the loose pages that I repaired years ago are coming adrift again ... it's like watching a beloved friend in a slow motion car crash!

So, I have taken the decision to arrest its decline and swap my preaching bible to an English Standard Version (ESV) bible that Scott & Bea bought me for my 40th birthday.

The advantages of this are many:

#1 My trusty NIV 1983 bible can now be used exclusively for my devotional times and not endure the rigours of Sundays.

#2 The ESV version has less revisions so it highly likely what I read on a Sunday will match yours AND what we project for the bible reading (It irrates me me when the bible verses on the screen don't match what's in my bible).

#3 The ESV bible is free to download on most bible apps whereas the NIV often isn't. 

#4 The ESV is also known as the Extra Smug Version ... for some reason associating with it makes me feel hip yet traditional :o)

No comments: