Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Feeling Epic on Father's day - Cotswold 113

So race day finally arrived and I was VERY excited. Six months of training was put to the test and I smashed my first middle distance triathlon... 

A 1.2 mile open water swim, around a lake course with 8 turn points, is without a doubt a 'contact sport'. I was swimming in a pack most of the time which made for a good swim speed but it was 'bumpy around the bouys'. That said, the 34 minutes quickly sped by and I was soon clambering out and running to my bike.

The 52 mile bike was always going to be the key to the race - ride too hard and I would fade on the run, ride too slow and I would needlessly concede precious minutes. Having figured out my nutrition/hydration/optimum heart rate (yes I am that obsessive) I followed my plan meticulously. No punctures or other mishaps meant I finished in 2hrs 37mins, strong and ready to run ... 

The 13.1 mile run was flat & fast and I wanted to get within 10% of my Personal Best at Half Marathon (1hr 30min) implying I cycled at the right intensity. I finished in just under 1hr 39min, perfect. 

My overall official time was 4:55:54, I was aiming for 5:30 so was thrilled. Both Matt & Craig also exceeded their times so we were 3 very happy, but tired, dads. 

I felt Epic on Father's day. And I still do ... albeit with very sore & tired legs.

No comments: