Thursday, 31 January 2013

My roomy from Burundi

Last week I travelled out to Dubai to spend time with Dave Devenish.

Technically my role was to 'carry his bags' which thankfully all had wheels on. Embaressingly, I did leave one of his bags in the hotel lobby as we loaded up a car, but that is another story :o(

Dave was speaking at a gathering of newfrontiers pastors from the UK, Africa & India who relate to Steve Oliver. We were 35 in total and it was encouraging to be amongst men & women who I had never met yet felt at home with.  

I shared a room with Everest from Burundi and we spent the first night trying to agree an aircon setting (cool or tropical) which suited us both for sleeping. I can honestly say that two pastors trying to defer their aircon preference is exhausting in its own right.

Everest lost 71 members of his extended family during the Burundi genocide in 1993, yet he had no bitterness. It was inspiring to listen to him talking about those days and his hope & faith for his country and Africa.

On the Friday, Dave spoke at Gateway church which is Steve's base church in Dubai. The congregation was multicultural and really welcoming, and Devonish preached a blinder! 

I did get some 1-2-1 time with David and I so enjoyed seeing how this new season of newfrontiers was evolving outside of the UK. 

Dave will be preaching here at RFC on 14th July.    

No comments: