Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Windsor Triathlon 2012

The day finally arrived, it was sunny and I was up for racing but sadly didn't need any swimming stuff. For the first time in its 22 year history, the swim leg was cancelled because the Thames was deemed too dangerous for swimmers. The event was changed to a Duathlon (1km run, 42km bike, 10km run) much to my disappointment and I guess relief...

Mass swim starts in deep water are both scary & exhilarating; thrashing bodies swimming over each other; everyone trying to avoid oxygen debt yet getting a fast rhythm. This 1.5km of mayhem was replaced by 1km run in a park .. very gentile by comparison. 

The bike leg went well, I was soon chasing those ahead and trying to ignore those who overtook me. I ended up leap frogging with another guy who was faster on the flats yet he faded a little on the hills. We pushed each other all the way round and am sure we both got a quicker bike time as a result :o)

The 10km run is three laps around Windsor & Eton with a brutal climb up Castle Hill, my legs were heavy off the bike and took a lap to wake up. Craig had come to support me and cheered me on as he sipped his Starbucks latte  ... I soon realized we were having very different race experiences.

Quite a few from TVT had come along to support so I got a good cheer as I came in the finishing tunnel. The run REALLY hurt but at least I gave everything out on the course and took nothing home in my legs. 

Its Tuesday and I still cant walk properly ... a proper badge of racing commitment!   

Overall time 2:04:22 (1km run=4:38, T1=1:12, 42km bike=1:12:38, T2=1:02, 10km run=44:50).       

No comments: