Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Known for our Love #1

A few weeks ago I read John 13v34-34 and have been mulling it over ever since. 

Jesus had just washed His disciples feet; Judas was sent to spring his trap and Jesus said He was going to a place they couldn't come. He continued:   

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another." 

Simon Peter seems more agitated about Jesus' comment about going away (v36,37) than he was intrigued about this 'new command'. Yet the apostle John seemed to have been listening intently, his later writings (1,2&3John) contain 30 references to love ... John might be described as the Apostle of Love!

In the busyness of our everyday lives we do well to think again on this 'new command'. I plan to preach on this on Sunday 8 July and as part of my preparation I hope to blog my sermon prep thoughts.

Our desire at RFC has always been that we would be known for our love for one another. Of course this is a lifelong journey and we all take wrong turns, yet we must keep pursuing this path.

It would be fun/cool/helpful to hear your thinking on this as well. 

Quote for today: "Love is the final apologetic" - Francis Schaeffer

No comments: