Wednesday, 21 July 2010

cycling round the Isle of Wight

Today James, Craig and me drove down to Southampton and caught the ferry to Cowes in order to cycle round the island. It's 64 miles and if I had to sum it up in one word it would be 'hilly'. It took about 4 1/2 hours including a short stop to buy Mars bars & more water.
James (the young pup) gave a master class in hill climbing to us 'old dogs' - it was annoying but I was too focused on trying to breathe and turn the crank to be able express any disapproval.

I did manage to clip Craigs back wheel and do a spectacular dismount / forward roll at speed -I appear to bounce well even at my age. The hill at Chale was brutal as was the one at Freshwater.

We followed the well signposted circular route which took us down quiet roads and took all the pressure off navigation. Sadly that meant James was able to focus on driving us hard - I can't remember any scenery, just the hills, descents and working hard on my gear selection.

A really great day out, an adventure and sense of achievement. Our next event is the olympic distance Triathlon here in Reading in September. Come on!

No comments: