Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Lake swimming

This morning Richard and I did three laps of Copthorne lake; 2.25km in murky green water. As we clambered out, the drizzle started, meaning I had a wet ride to work.
Sitting here now I can honestly say 'I love lake swimming' YET beforehand I can get so anxious. I want to do it but can get so nervous about it!

I really wouldn't enjoy swimming there alone, I like knowing someone is swimming alongside me - even if is very hard to see them!

I need people to help me do the things I want to do. I need running buddies, cycling buddies and swimming buddies ... to keep me pressing on!

I am sure there are many illustrations I could draw from my anxiety about lake swimming and how a friend helps me achieve what I want to do. All I know is I am sitting here now smelling of neoprene, with a wetsuit rash on my neck and a huge smile on my face.

Friends are great; so is lake swimming; and I will probably get nervous an hour before next time as well.

3 comments:

Richard Walker said...

My enjoyment was somewhat marred after the event due to the fact that I couldn't make sense of the roadworks at junction 11 and ended up going to school via the M4. :-(

I eventually arrived at school only to realise that I looked like I'd just put two fingers in an electrical socket for fun! (The way I look after every lake swim)

Still, I wouldn't not have done it and you're right - it was great!

Sean Green said...

It seems you drive as straight as you swim ;o)

Richard Walker said...

Many a true word spoken in jest! :-)