Saturday, 26 December 2009

Proper music

One of the joys of being 42 is that I was a teenager in the 80's, the era of proper music. For Christmas, I was given 'Anthems Electronic 80s'. Washing up is now a riot of sound, suds and top grooving!

To honour the brilliance of the electronica genre here are some classic tracks (links to youtube):

Soft cell 'Tainted love' 12" Mix

Gary Numen 'Cars'

Ultravox 'Vienna'

Human league 'Love action'

Heaven 17 'temptation'

Blancmange 'Dont tell me'

Pet Shop Boys 'West end girls'

and of course New Order 'Blue Monday'

4 comments:

Karen said...

The joy of being 37 means I grew up with 80s music as a teenager too. The music was cool, and I thought my fashion sense was too. Looking back at the music I know I was right, but looking back at the fashion - oh dear!

Roy the Beard said...

One of the joys of being 66 is that I was 42 in the 80's. To my mind, apart from a few exceptions (e.g. U2), the 80's just gave us catchy hedonistic jingles! Try Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Pink Floyd etc. for REAL music that actually SAID something and changed the way we thought about ourselves and the cultures around us!
Fortunately, the Nineties & Noughties has given us some new, more interesting music - Lamb, Muse, Radiohead, Amy W and lots more.

Kevin Gill said...

They certainly don't write them like that anymore. My kids don't think much if all though...

Richard Walker said...

There's nothing quite like the mix of electronic drums and synthesisers... ;-)