Sunday, 4 October 2009

Rested #1

This week we started our new series entitled 'Rested?'. Essentially I will be exploring Jesus' promise that if we come to Him, He will give us rest (Matt 11v28-30) .

This morning I looked at how the pace of our lives is speeding up ... and that leisure is a very poor substitute for Biblical Rest. Chilling out with friends when you have crushing debts, or wracked with guilt, is a very flimsy shelter in which to seek rest.

'Rhythm' is a root of Biblical Rest that we all need to rediscover and I hope to unpack the rhythm of Sabbath Rest over the next two weeks. Matt Hosier wrote that "we need to be Easter People & Christmas People and Sabbath People", and I think he is right.

The essence of Biblical Rest is 'Peace', peace with God; a peace that is found only in Christ and anchored in the future. I sense it will be a very helpful series and I am really looking forward to the study.

RFC Media made the film below to introduce the sermon series ...

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm looking forward to this serues too as I was recently told I run my life at 1,000,000 miles per hour!! I'll be listening hard.

s said...

Excellent sermon, I particulalry like the line that 'leisure does not equal biblical rest' - so liberating!