Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Rested

Earlier in the year a friend of mine blogged on keeping the Sabbath and I found it very provocative (Matt Hosier 'keeping the Sabbath'). His writing got me thinking and this Sunday I plan to start a new sermon series entitled 'Rested'.

Essentially, I want to explore REST and Jesus' invitation to 'come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you REST' (Matt 11v28).

I sense many of us have different concepts of what REST is (or should be) and also many different ways of obtaining REST.

As busy, results orientated, Western Christians, what does it mean to be RESTED yet straining with all our might to do life & advance His Kingdom?

I would love to know your thoughts and questions around REST to help shape the series...

3 comments:

Gary And Kay said...

Kay and I often discuss this, haven't a solution, but often discuss it. I recently read Deut 5, there the commandments are listed. There is more written about keeping the Sabbath than any of the other commandments, yet it is the one that is rarely kept. But it is a commandment. How much more effective could we be if we observed this and properly rested and focused on God. I wonder.

Phil said...

Rested involves a right understanding of work, a balance of contentment materially and discontentment over the lost, spiritual zeal etc..., living mostly without worry (Do NOT worry etc...), and a greater understanding of what we seek most. If its His kingdom then we will seek it first but we can trust Him with what happens when we down tools on the Sabbath. Just a few thoughts...

Anonymous said...

The most helpful book that I have read and used on the subject of a Sabbath rest is "Ordering your private world" by Gordon MacDonald.


JF