Sunday, 7 June 2009

Ecclesiastes 7

It is better to go to the house of mourning than to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyman; the living should take this to heart (v2)

I have been to enough funeral wakes to know that they are somber and reflective events. When my Nan died a few years ago it was sad but she was 83 and had lived a full life. My friend's daughter died a few days before her first birthday, and her wake felt very different to my Nan's.

I hope to live to 100 years and see my great grandchildren get married (maybe even preach at the wedding!). But one day I will die for death is the destiny of everybody.

This may seem very depressing, especially after such a fantastic day at RFC. But UK culture has sanitised and distanced death from everyday life and we miss the lessons that come when faced with our own mortality.

When we understand that 'When the game is over it all goes back in the box' (a great book by John Ortberg) our perspective on how we live our life changes for the better.

No comments: