Friday, 12 June 2009

Ecclesiastes 12

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man (v13).

On this cheery note, so finishes the book of Ecclesiastes.

Finishing on fear and keeping commandments is not exactly helpful. Fearing God can get you so far when it comes to obedience but it can never be enough to keep you on track.

Jesus really did have good news. Yes, we are to fear God and keep his commandments but my righteousness is found in Jesus, not in my law keeping. Sin no longer has a hold over me and I have the Holy Spirit within giving power to live for God's glory.

I still get a thrill writing this out, reflecting on the new covenant brings a smile to my face. Can it really be that I am accepted because of my faith (and that a gift) in Jesus alone?

The new legalisms of blogging each day through Ecclesiastes or keeping up with my Bible in a Year readings (now 2 days behind) add nothing to my standing before God.

That said, reading the bible cover to cover really helps you grasp the goodness of God! Fear and commandments aren't the last words, it's 'the grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen'!

3 comments:

jethro said...

i enjoy reading this blog and its systematic approach to what the bits in ecclesiastes say. i do like ecclesiastes, but i know its one that we can easily mistake the meaning of and misquote to justify more worldly behaviour (like the "eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" bit), so it is great that you note solomons intentions, and the life experiences (and often regrets) that have influenced him to write these things.

Sean Green said...

Thanks jethro - appreciate your comments!

Anonymous said...

Hello from Canada. I am enjoying reading through your blog and I have wrestled with the Book of Ecclesiastes, on several levels, for a number of years now. I like the way you have dedicated posts to brief segments of the book rather than taking a reactionary approach to the whole thing at once. I think that viewing it as having a downbeat, negative tone because it lacked the messianic fulfillment that came with Christ is also overly-simplistic. It might just as easily be viewed as a warning against overestimating ourselves as human beings, or the value of fleeting things in this world. Your response to those thoughts would interest me.
Since I don't maintain a blog myself, I hope you don't mind if I plug my friend's blog:

http://whatandever.blogspot.com/