Sunday, 5 April 2009

Proverbs 5

Keep to a path far from her (the adulteress), do not go near the door of her house (v8).
We are all tempted to think we can handle sin. In some areas of my life, I find myself trying to figure out how close to the edge I can go without actually sinning. Dumb I know, but common to us all.

There is better way.

A biblical approach is to keep to a path that leads us far away from our areas of weakness. For some it means no TV after 9pm, others it's Internet filters, others its ending a friendship. For me it has meant all of these and more.

Few of us are in situations like Joseph, he could not avoid Potiphar's wife and her lust for adultery (Gen 39v12) and he paid the price.

Mostly, we can choose to avoid the paths and doors that will lead us to sin and it's inevitable damage & pain - so let's make wise choices.

3 comments:

dave bish said...

Lady Folly tempts. Loving this blogseries Sean, keep it coming.

Karen said...

'A biblical approach is to keep to a path that leads us far away from our areas of weakness. For some it means no TV after 9pm, others it's Internet filters, others its ending a friendship. For me it has meant all of these and more.'

I could have written those words myself! In some areas of life I've gone right down that path and bashed the door in! Then wished I'd got the wrong address - hard lessons learnt. I see that now and see the dangers. But my joy in knowing that He has set a much clearer path for me is overwhelming me at the moment and it's good. He's good!

dave bish said...

Flee the woman called folly, and drip deep from the woman called wisdom. It fascinates me that the father characterises both wisdom and folly for his son as women, shows how deep the issue cuts, how alluring folly can be, and how beautiful wisdom should be too.