Thursday, 23 April 2009

Proverbs 23

Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? (v29)

Like many, I have an unhappy history concerning alcohol abuse. My father was a violent alcoholic and so my early childhood memories are not all good. By my late teens / early twenties I was walking my father's path "A lovely guy when sober, but ... ".

Then I met Jesus and so began my transformation. Gone are the needless bruises and bloodshot eyes. Gone are the regrets and broken relationships from the night before. Gone also are the mints before the church meeting - beer breath was highly frowned upon!

After 2 decades of following Jesus, I am now more at ease around alcohol. But I still have personal reservations. I still unconsciously count the glass bottles in my recycling to ensure my consumption is under control. I still occasionally ask Liz if she has any concerns.

I am now hidden in Christ and although all things are permissible, by His grace, I will not be mastered by anything. I will, with thanksgiving, enjoy a glass of wine, but I am NOT going to walk in my father's way.

2 comments:

irene m said...

May you know Gods blessing again and again for your open-ness and honesty....

Karen said...

Very courageous thing to admit. And I'm sure that if there were any concerns, Liz would tell you long before you'd even recognised it to ask.