Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Proverbs 15

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger (v1).
If I quickly apologise when I make a mistake riding my bike or driving the car, I can often see their anger melt away.

If I respond gently to the children's anger, the situation normally diffuses quickly. If I show my annoyance, it escalates.

If I have upset someone unwittingly and humbly apologise to them, then both of us will have a better day.

We all need to be humble enough to answer people gently and not use the conflict to ease our wounded pride or assert our rights.

Easy to type, hard to live out, excellent to pursue.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I often wonder when it's right to be angry. I know it's not wrong because Jesus got angry with the temple traders. I struggle sometimes to know when it's right to show my anger and when's the right time to be humble and back down. At times I say things when I shouldn't and other times I keep quiet, when maybe a gentle word would have done the trick. It's so hard knowing when, and more specifically, how, to get it right.

Sean Green said...

Anger is not wrong - as you say jesus got angry. The challenge is 'in your anger do not sin'.

Love disciplines, love overlooks an offense, love is kind and patient! I guess our plumbline for our anger must be love.