Sunday, 12 April 2009

Proverbs 12

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult (v16).

Life is not about winning every skirmish. Wisdom is not always found in pursuing what is 'right' or 'fair'.

Sometimes it is better to be wronged for the greater good - when in dispute with people I have yielded my rights and kept the peace.

Sometimes I have been badly treated, only to be asked for help by the same people - and by overlooking the insult, I gained friends.

I don't always get it right. When I am annoyed, my wife knows it immediately, which in itself is very annoying.

Sometimes it is really hard to overlook an offense ... I can't move forward and so need to talk it through face to face.

Nevertheless, it is better to bite our lips and extend grace, than show our annoyance and risk being thought a fool.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I've just started reading the book of Esther and my notes yesterday spoke of Xerxes instant annoyance at his wife refusing to be paraded for her beauty. His response was to over-react and show instant annoyance and dish out a punishment that was way too harsh.

We all have times where we perhaps respond in an unfitting way, but as you say, when we're hurt or insulted it's really hard not to bite back straightaway. It's taken me a long, long time to learn to keep quiet when all I've wanted to do sometimes is bite that person a little harder than they bit me. I try to consider now whether my anger is justified and 'correct', before going off on one! (But sometimes I fail and make a complete wally of myself and have to eat huge slices of humble pie.)