Saturday, 11 April 2009

Proverbs 11

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom (v2).

They say pride has 1000 faces, but the disgrace that follows always seems to feel the same: horrible!

When the Holy Spirit, my conscience or a friend points out my pride, that sinking feeling is awful. When I have been prideful in public, that makes the feeling of disgrace even worse.

The truth is, because of my pride, I still try to portray myself as a 'got it together Christian'. For the public record, I am not a 'got my walk with God together' Christian. I am the worst sinner I know (because I know myself the best).

But I am forgiven. And my primary identity is not as sinner or a forgiven sinner. My primary identity is in Christ and the Bible describes me as a saint (Eph1v1).

Disgrace will always track pride, yet a humble, biblical understanding of who we in Christ, brings great wisdom.

No comments: