Saturday, 31 January 2009

Almost too busy to stop & pray

Today was the perfect day for a longer run - sunny, a light wind and 'Snow Patrol' & 'M People' on my mp3 player. I headed out for a 12 miler, through Whitley and down to the Kennet & Avon Canal.

It was here that I came to the point where, this week, Jonathan Marques body was retrieved from the water near Fobney lock. He went missing on 6th January on his way to school and it is thought he drowned in the canal (full story here).

His family are part of the Goan community in Reading and a small crowd of them had gathered to pay their respects. It was very sobering and brought into sharp contrast the different weeks that we all have.

On my return journey I stopped at the spot and knelt to pray for his family - they have a Catholic background, but I am not sure if they know Jesus.

I live in Reading and I want to engage with the people and issues of Reading. To be honest, I could have prayed for them as I ran. But I needed to interrupt my training schedule to stop and pray for them. It's only running.

The family lives about 200m from where the church meets on Sundays. If we should, and how we would, bridge that 200m, I don't yet know.

No comments: