Tuesday, 2 September 2008

My 'dash'

Sean Green, 20 August 1967 - ?

I have just finished reading John Ortberg's book 'When the game is over it all goes back in the box'. In chapter 16 he asks you to fill out your name and add your date of birth. There is then a 'dash' and 'question mark'. He says one day someone else will fill in the date of the question mark.

Ortberg reminds you that we don't choose our birth or death but we get to work on the 'dash' (it's sobering to see my life as little more than 'dash' between two dates). The book outlines, in his usual readable style, how we can make the most of our lives.

Like many, I want to my life to count. I want to have a legacy that the world was a better place because I did what God had for me. And like many, fear, comfort, fitting in, laziness and settling for less, all fight to reduce the lustre and depth of my 'dash'.

Ortberg's book is a great, easy read (and his illustrations are both funny & poignant) and if you can make the time to read it, I am sure it will stir you too.

No comments: