Tuesday, 9 September 2008

In full view - Rom 12v1

Today I went walking with Scott in the Chiltern Hills. It was raining, it was muddy, and it was fabulous. We walked along the Ridgeway which has wonderful views of rolling hills & fields ... and we had space to think and talk. And every so often we had to stop and admire the view.

Admiring the view is becoming a habit of mine these days.

I grew up on a council estate in Portsmouth with a violent, alcoholic father who had to be removed by the court system. My mum did all she could working late shifts to make ends meet, but it wasn't enough. State benefits clothed us, paid for school dinners and our rent, but could not connect with the insecure boy that was me.

By the time I was 21 I was becoming my father; when sober a lovely guy but also one who abused alcohol and was growing in violence towards my girlfriend. I was deeply insecure and very unhappy.

Then I met with God's mercy. I met Jesus, the friend of sinners, and my new life began.

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk today - the views were magnificent. But it pales to insignificance when compared to this walk of faith and the glorious views of Gods mercy it provides. So I want to offer my body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to Him - this is my reasonable act of worship.

No comments: