Thursday, 3 July 2008

They couldn't afford a lamb

I read this morning Luke 2, which amongst other things recounts how Mary & Joseph took newborn Jesus to the temple in accordance with the Law of Moses. They offered two small birds in order for Mary to be cermonially clean in accordance with Leviticus 12.

However, Mary & Joseph were operating under a clause for the poor. The norm was for the mother to bring a year old lamb without defect and a young pigion or dove (Lev12v6). If they could not afford a lamb she was to bring two doves or two young pigeons (v8). Which is what Mary did.

At this point I started to well up and reflect on my own journey.

When I grew up we were generally flat broke until my mum remarried. Thankfully we kids had our school dinners & uniform paid by state benefits and we lived in our council house for free. I can only guess as what my mum went through to make ends meet.

I realize those early years have shaped me and not all for the good. But lack of money doesn't have to define who you are or how God will use you. Jesus does that - and Jesus knew what it was for mum and dad to only be able to afford a pair of doves.

No comments: