Monday, 28 July 2008

Keep receiving Him well

Luke 20 records how men tried to trap Jesus and hand him over the the rule and authority of the governor. On face value this seems crazy and foolish and arrogant. Their hearts were hard and they thought the best response to Jesus was to try to get him out of the picture.

The thing is, on reflection, I wonder how many times I do the same thing. There is something in all of us that wants to run our own lives. We are more sophisticated in our methods (as good Christians we don't try to trap him with questions) we simply avoid including him in certain areas of our lives... like what really defines who we are, who is really in control, etc etc.

The remedy must surely be to know Jesus better. Surgeon encouraged me this morning to 'Throw open the portals of my soul to Jesus'. And as I get to know Jesus better, I know I will find more 'portals in my soul' to throw open.

I really do want to keep receiving Jesus well, into all the areas of my life (and I do find that a little scary). I don't want to keep Him at a distance or out of my picture. And God's grace is sufficient for me to press through on this and to keep on receiving his love and joy and peace.

No comments: