Tuesday, 29 April 2008

A lesson from the pool side

Last night I went to the Monday swim session at the tri club but it was the first time in 4 weeks due to manflu, etc. Normally I am one of the stronger swimmers in my lane and often lead out on the swim drills. But last night it all went horribly wrong.

I volunteered to lead the first 700m swim drill (100m @ 100%, 500m @ 80%, 100m @ 100%), worked hard and thought I did well. I then mentioned to those in my lane that I found it a hard pace, to which they graciously replied 'it wasn't that fast'. Sadly by the third set of 700m drills, I was relegated to being the tail and coming in well behind the others.

So here is the lesson: 4 weeks ago I swam like a fish, but that was 4 weeks ago. As I got into the pool I was living in the glorious past. But when I got out I was very much in the present - having swum like a pregnant Lama! So often we can live in the past: how fit we were, how zealous we were, how close to God we were. Sometimes we need a rude awakening to show how much we have lost over time, in order to spur us on to the hard work of regaining ground.

No comments: