Wednesday, 20 February 2008

People like Thomas

Tomorrow night I am speaking at Surrey University on John 14:1-14. It's the last supper and Jesus has washed feet and predicted both His betrayal and also Peter's denial. He then comforts his disciples by saying that He will go ahead to his Father's house to prepare rooms for them and then come back and take them to be with Him. It's a sublime teaching moment; the lights are low and the atmosphere 'troubled'.

And then Thomas pipes up "Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

I like Thomas. He asks honest questions and makes honest statements (see also John 20:24-29). He readily admits to not following the plot. But John 14:1-14 is not about Thomas; it's about Jesus. Jesus calls people like Thomas. And Jesus allows people like Thomas to say 'I don't get what you said'.

We don't always understand everything Jesus says - but we can ask Him and not be rebuked - and that is very good news for people like me.

4 comments:

thebluefish said...

You're going to Surrey.
That makes me smile.
It's about Jesus.
That makes me smile.

Sean Green said...

They are a great posse - and the CU has grown in the short time I have been going over there. Next week is their mission week so this passage is ideal to spring from ... I am really looking forward to being with them!

thebluefish said...

How'd it go?

Sean Green said...

I thought really well. The numbers were down from last time but mission week is next week, assignments etc. I enjoyed preparing John 14:1-14 enourmously, I can only hope they got 1/10th out of it as I did. Our friend the drummer said hi on your behalf ( I forget his name but he is a good guy). Kirsty the copresident is a great leader - and Jonny has cut off his hair for mission week!