Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Its only 13.1 miles ...

So the Reading half marathon is just a few days away and I am like a finely tuned veteran athlete ... kind of. This is my first half marathon in 18 years but at least I get to run it with Liz. I have this picture in my head of us crossing the line hand in hand, punching the air, followed by a victors embrace. All very romantic. The reality of course will be quite different but then where is the fun in picturing that?

This is all a fore runner of my primary objective of the year - the Royal Windsor Olympic Distance Triathlon in June. I have two shorter sprint Triathlons in March & May to help the build up, so its all looks good on paper. My bike is running so smoothly it really is a joy to ride (it's a guy thing). The Monday night 'swim-gasp-a-thon' at the Tri club is really improving my swimming - even if I can't sleep after all that adrenalin is released.

All that remains now is to wait for Sunday, then keep up with Liz, smile and keep telling myself it is only 13.1 miles ....

3 comments:

Dave Burt said...

13.1 miles... walk in the park! :S

Dan said...

Good luck on Sunday! I've still got a cold so I'm not sure if I'm going to run or not. Hopefully it'll be cleared up by Sunday but I might be being optimistic...

Either way, it's a really nice half-marathon (although there's a lot of other runners) and the support from the crowd makes it a lot easier in places!

Sean Green said...

I too have a chesty cough - and it is about the right time to start making our excuses! Come on Dan - press through on it!