Monday, 14 January 2008

A tricky email

I got into the office today (as I am taking Thursday off instead) and I opened an email from one of the deacons. I got a bit stuck on quite how to answer it, I have copied it below:

Now that we're at the start of a new year and this Sunday is the vision morning, I was wondering if you had heard from God regarding the current season we're in, or if you felt God leading us in a particular direction.
How should I answer this sincere question? I am aware of some of the challenges we are facing in 2008 (facilities, leadership, finance, volunteers, etc). I am also aware of the many breakthroughs we want to see this year, not least to see us grow in spiritual maturity and smash through 200 on a morning. But what is this season we are in, in what direction are we going as a church?

My gut reaction to the question of season is easy; we are in a season of being 'refined' ... by fire ... by pressure ... by our response to both success and failure. And to be honest, it's a great season to be in. If we were living a solitary Christian life, I admit a season of refining would be rubbish. But we are part of the body of Christ. We are set in a family. And when pressure comes, we should all feel it, help carry it, and it should force us together. Refinement is life and health to us, but it is not without it's pain.

So, we are in a season of 'refining' ... as to where it is definatively all leading - now that part I have less clarity on this afternoon!


No comments: